It is very refreshing seeing quite a number of posts promoting natural beauty and hair on our social media platforms . 3 years ago it was different, I was used to seeing a lot of permed hair than natural, kinky hairs. I don’t remember being a fan of relaxed hair though it did make life easier back in school when nobody wanted to plait natural hair just because it was either too soft or too thick.
Growing up, natural hair was labelled as “the nappy hair that needs perm to be corrected” and to be honest I used to envy the hair on the relaxer boxes, how pretty and straight like some Disney princess, not even once did I think natural hair could be more beautiful than that.
Natural hair can be wild, dry and sometimes not manageable. Some days it looks great and other days you can’t even style it. But your hair belongs to you and I think everybody can learn to love their Afro textured hair.- Jen
The main reason people are struggling with natural hair is because they do not feel the need to do a research on it and also hoping that what someone else is doing with their hair would work for them – which is WRONG! Having permed hair seems easy but it does have its conditions and side effects. Just so you know relaxer damages, dulls and weakens your hair – facts that maybe you already know 😦One reason people are struggling with their natural hair is hoping that what someone else is doing with their hair would work for them – which is WRONG Click To Tweet
Things that every black queen should know and be aware of their crowns are:
- Natural hair, metaphorically is like a wild animal that needs to be tamed. You need the right products for that and it takes one to explore varieties before discovering the niche. Took me years sis.
- Natural hair is BEAUTIFUL. It does not matter the texture or kinks, that crown on top of your head is what you are. Don’t let somebody tell you otherwise.
- Natural hair maintenance isn’t pricey, you do not always have to rely on the Cantu’s or Aunt Jackie’s all the time, sometimes DIY’s can do amazing things to your hair.
- The beginning of embracing your natural hair is a whole new life-changing experience. Some will just say “Geez its just hair” WELL IT SURE AIN’T!
- Heat and cotton towels are not your friends when it comes to your hair but water is.
My personal experience with hair was not all cakes and roses, I’ve had terrible bad hair days and I’ve thought of relaxing again countless time, but I’m glad I didn’t let it get to me, I understand that some days mother nature would be kind and some other days.You do not always have to rely on the Cantu’s or Aunt Jackie’s all the time, sometimes DIY’s can do amazing things to your hair. Click To Tweet
There is no fancy rocket science when it comes to hair growth, everything is different yet the same. Shrinkage is a BITCH and It’s normal. Let your hair grow, don’t stress. I’d like to hear about your natural hair struggles, Please share on the comment section below or on our social media accounts and tag us @ahmenadotcom